The UK ancestry visa is a direct route to Indefinite leave to remain in the UK and in due course one can even apply for British citizenship.
If you are a commonwealth citizen, and have strong ties to the UK linked by a blood relation with a UK national, you can easily take the ancestry UK route.
An important aspect of it’s requirements involve that you must be able to prove that you have a connection to a UK national.
Requirements for UK ancestry visa
To complete your Ancestry UK Visa application,the following requirements are needed,
- You must be a Commonwealth citizen
- You must be aged 17 years or above
- You must have a grandparent born in the UK, Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or in the Republic of Ireland before March 31,1922
- You must have a strong intention to work and live in the UK for a long time.
- You must have finances to sustain yourself and any dependants without having to claim and access the public funds.
How do I begin an application?
Unless you belong to North Korea, you will have to make an application online and pay fees. You also need to book and attend appointments at the nearest UK visa centre for biometric information to be processed.
What is the validity of the visa?
Once approved the visa is valid for 5 years from the date of issue. Once the 5 year period is over you can extend you and your dependent’s visa depending on your circumstances.
How early can I apply and What is the fee?
You can apply as early as 3 months before you travel.
You should be able to get the decision in 3 weeks time if you are applying from outside the UK.
You can also book super priority services with extra charges. These services depend upon the country you are applying from.
You can also take legal advice from the best immigration lawyers in London. A Y & J Solicitors have a proven track record in continuing success rate in UK visas. They have benefitted over 4000 clients.
The UK Ancestry visa costs £516. You also need to pay a health surcharge additionally as a part of your application.
How long can you stay on a UK Ancestry visa?
You can stay up to 5 years on a UK Ancestry visa and once the validity expires, you can renew your visa by extending it as many times as you want provided you are still eligible to apply.
Extending your visa
You must include any dependants either your partner or your children who are on the current visa on your application to extend. It will also include children who have turned 18 but are still dependent on you, they don’t need to apply separately.
For each person applying you need to pay:
- the application fee of £1,033
- Additional healthcare surcharge
- £19.20 for your biometric details, that is, fingerprints and a photo
How can a UK ancestry visa benefit ?
The main benefit is that it offers a direct route to obtain Indefinite Leave to Remain and eventually a British Citizenship. Some of the other benefits are mentioned as:
- There is no requisite for a work permit or sponsor.
- You can study, work and live in the UK without any restrictions.
- Your spouse, or civil or unmarried partner and your dependent(children) can all be benefited by joining you in the UK on an ancestry visa.
- There is no need for you to invest financially to gain entry in the UK as compared with the Investor or Entrepreneur visa route.
- There are no restrictions on the mode of employment undertaken by you during your residence in the UK.